- 8:00-8:20 Arrival
- 8:20-8:40 Announcements & Morning Meeting
- 8:40-9:20 Reading
- 9:20-10:00 Specials
- 10:00-11:05 Reading
- 11:05-11:30 Lunch
- 11:30-11:50 Recess
- 11:50-12:10 Writing
- 12:10-1:00 Math
- 1:00-1:20 Break
- 1:20-2:00 Math
- 2:00-2:30 Science & Social Studies
- 2:30-3:00 Remediation & Enrichment
- 3:00 Dismissal
- 10:00 Morning Meeting
- 10:15 Language Arts
- 10:50 Specials
- 11:30 Title
- 12:15 Math
- 1:00 End of Day
Daily 5 is a way of structuring the reading block so that every student is independently engaged in meaningful literacy tasks.
These research-based tasks are ones that will have the biggest impact on student reading and writing achievement, as well as help foster a love of reading and writing. Students receive explicit whole group instruction and then are given practice time to read and write independently while we provide focused, intense instruction to individuals and small groups of students.
Daily 5 is comprised of:
- Read to Self- Student chooses “good fit” books to read by themselves.
- Work on Writing- Student writes independently. They brainstorm ideas and apply skills taught.
- Read to Someone- Two students sit and read together. This helps students build fluency and comprehension skills.
- Listen to Reading– Students listen to books on iPads. This allows them to hear what fluency sounds like and it also introduces them to new vocabulary.
- Word Work– Students work on important sight words. This will help them recognize different spelling patterns and apply them in their everyday writing.
One thing you may notice that could be a change for you is a decrease in the number of worksheets your child brings home. While worksheets keep students busy, they don’t really result in the high level of learning we want for your child. Instead, your child will be taught to select books they can read, understand and are interested in. They will be spending most of their time actually reading, which research supports as the number one way to improve reading. We anticipate the motivation and enjoyment of reading will skyrocket when this gift of choosing their own books is accompanied by extended practice and specific reading instruction for each individual child.
- Reading: Heggerty, mClass, RAZ Kids & i-Ready
- Math: Ready Mathematics, i-Ready
- Social Studies: Studies Weekly
- Science: Mystery Science
- All Subjects: IXL